Going back-to-school shopping for kids’ clothes soon?
We asked Carla Feely, vice president of kids at Stitch Fix, what trends to look out for in the aisles of favorite kids’ clothing stores. Stitch Fix just expanded to styling fashion for kids.
The big trend is deep woods: That’s cozy, comfortable fabric in an earth-tone palette. Even with girls, it’s soft pinks and creams, mixed with some forest green.
Feely pictures the clothes as like the woobie from “Mr. Mom” — that comforting blanket with which a little kid doesn’t want to part ways.
Sometimes the woobie texture is hidden in the lining, like a secret that only they can feel, sometimes it’s on the outside.
Also look for these trends:
- Kids’ lines are playing up the athleisure look. One boy told Stitch Fix that the clothes made him feel fast when he wore them. These are clothes that can go to class and then outside to skateboard or play soccer.
- Expect to see a lot of hoodies and joggers, and shirt jackets that have a skater vibe.
- Jeans also have an update: They’re made more comfortable. They look like jeans but feel like sweatpants.
- Jeans also are starting to move away from the skinny-jean look. You’ll start seeing boot-cut or a straight leg.
- Leggings are still very popular, and look for more fun patterns to them.
- Little details such as ruffles and lace, embroidery and mesh are still popular, as are adding stripes on the side of the pants and shirts that have sparkly glitter or sequins.
- Popular patterns for girls are multiple vertical stripes or swirls.
- Look for shirts with interesting sleeves and cold shoulders for girls.
- Graphic T-shirts are still popular, particularly ones that reflect the 1980s and ’90s. These often are the opposite of the deep woods trend, in that they offer vibrant colors and hints of neon.
- Character T-shirts from television and movies, as well as superheroes, still are popular, but so are T-shirts with science themes.
- Dresses are still doing well, but they have an athleisure look of comfort and might include a belt.
- Expect for skirts to be making a comeback, especially shorter skirts and jean skirts.
- And the tutu is very much a thing.