The weather will get slightly cooler as this weekend goes along. Is it possible that Thanksgiving is around the corner, followed by Christmas?
Get in the spirit this weekend with many family events that are holiday-themed. They’re great ways to start your Thanksgiving break.
- Chuy’s Children’s Giving to Children Parade. Bring an unwrapped new toy to donate to Operation Blue Santa while you see the floats go by. Free. 11 a.m. Saturday. chuysparade.com
- Gingerbread Fun Run 1 K. A fun run for kids of all ages and abilities that benefits the Thinkery. $18-$22. 9 a.m. Saturday. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- The Contemporary Austin’s Free Teen Night. The Contemporary Austin welcomes teenagers to the Jones Center for an entirely teen-led evening of activities. Teens can explore the art of Wangechi Mutu and John Bock. 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. 700 Congress Ave. thecontemporaryaustin.org.
- Thinkery. Owl Pellet Dissection. See what an owl ate by looking at its poop. For ages 4 and up. 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Monday, $8. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Thanksgiving story time and craft. A snack, craft and fun with Hideout Theater guest. $10:30 a.m. Friday. $10 per child. Toybrary Austin, 2001 Justin Lane. toybraryaustin.comlio
- Meet Curious George! 10:30 a.m. Saturday. $10 per child. Toybrary Austin, 2001 Justin Lane. toybraryaustin.co
- “A Christmas Carol.” 10 a.m. Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. $8-$10. EmilyAnn Theatre 1101 Ranch Road 2325, Wimberley. emilyann.org/productions
- Zach Theatre presents “The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.” Head to Narnia in the C.S. Lewis tale. 11 a.m. Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday and Saturday. 1 p.m. Friday. More shows through Feb. 10. $18-$24. Whisenhunt Stage, 1510 Toomey Road. zachtheatre.org
- BookPeople events. Dave Engledow reads “The Little Girl Who Didn’t Want to Go to Bed.” 2 p.m. Sunday. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Liara Tamani reads “Calling My Name.” 2 p.m. Saturday. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Pollyanna Theatre Company presents “Chicken Story Time.” Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to story time. Hear stories with a lot of chickens. For ages 2-4. 9:30 a.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m. Friday-Saturday. $6.75. The Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive. thelongcenter.org
- Friday Movie Matinee: “Nightmare Before Christmas.” 3:30 p.m. Friday, Old Quarry Branch.