Leap Day, that once-every-four-years day we call Feb. 29, is Monday. Oh, how we wish it were a Saturday or a Sunday, or better yet, a paid day off. What’s the point of an extra day, if it’s going to be a Monday?
I’ll be spending it at the dentist, so that makes it even more special.
If we can’t take the day off, here’s some little things we could do to make it feel extra special.
- Get the homework done early or skip it if you can, and rent or stream a movie with the family.
- Actually take a lunch break. Go on a walk, eat lunch in a scenic spot nearby or have lunch with the kids at school when it’s not their birthday.
- Stop off for a latte, a breakfast taco or something special on the way to work.
- Paint your toe nails.
- Wear the dress or the outfit that makes your feel your best.
- Splurge on what’s for dinner. If you can go out and that’s still relaxing, do it. If not, buy that expensive cut of meat or that piece of salmon. Buy something decadent for dessert.
- Make a list of everything you’re grateful for in your life and post it somewhere. You can even have the kids do the same.
- Do one good thing for someone. My daughter and I have been handing out our extra boxes of Girl Scout cookies to the homeless people we pass driving around. She feels so good about doing this that if we stop and we don’t do it, I get a talking to. It could just be that you open a door for someone who has their hands full.
- Our traffic is not fun. All of Austin knows this. On at least this one day, be the bigger person and let someone in. Lay off the horn. Take deep breaths. Listen to some fun music or a cool book on tape and will the drive to be relaxing.
- Go for easy breezy. Don’t rush things. Be late if you need to be. Take some more deep breaths and choose this one day to not worry about whatever you’ve been worrying about. Save it for another day.
Share what you’re going to do on Twitter and Instagram #LeapDayATX.